Next weekend Joy of Six and time for us to head up to Sheffield and run some games with Nick Dorrell and the other Chums from the Wyre Forest Wargames club – we are looking forward to it!
A write-up of the two games can be found on the Baccus homepage (see here), I suggest you go there and have a look at these and the other things that will be going on at the Joy of Six.
I have spent the last week finalising the units we will field for the fantasy game and also completing the battle mat (discussed last week, here).
I have varnished the river sections using Liquitex High Gloss Varnish, I hope it will not crack to badly when the mat is rolled up! As per the tradition I have to bring some terrain made out of spaghetti to Joy of Six! This time all the bridges on the Lesnaya table are partially edible! (Al Dente!, more on spaghetti terrain here, here and here!).
As for the Fantasy game we will be running a participation game using Dragon Rampant. The rules are fun and easy to learn and I think will work well in this setting. As this was a last minute change I have done a lot of short burst brushwork the last two weeks and had some great fun with the Little One preparing it all. I think we need a break after Joy of Six!
Here are a few shots of the units we have been working on (not all made it to the final war bands below).
However for the game on the day, we will allow a maximum of three players per side (Good vs Evil) using the following warbands (notation based on the dragon rampant rules):
The Good Guys
Knights of Suecia (24 points)
Leader: Prior Lewen Hauptmann (18/00 Strength leader trait, actually a blessing from Suecia, giving him re-rolls in battle).
“He pulled down the visor of his helmet and gave a short prayer and looked around at his men – ironclad battle hardened Knights ready to fight to their last dying breath. “For the Glory of Suecia, give us your strength of battle!” he yelled out the blessing and his brothers responded concurrently; “We accept your strength”, to complete the linkage to the divine plane. For a moment a reddish glow could be seen from their swords and spears as they were imbued with the spiritual power. “
- Leader unit – Elite Foot (6 points)
- Second Unit of Knights on Foot – Elite Foot (6 Points)
- 2 No. Units of Knights on Horse – Elite Horse (12 points)
Elves of the Fine Lands (24 points)
Leader: Warmaster Líndal Coamenel (Strong leadertrait)
- Leader Unit – Elite Horse (6 points)
- Second unit of Elf Riders – Elite Horse (6 points)
- 2 No. Elven Archers – Light Missile with Sharpshooter upgrade (12 points)
Suecian Light Detachment (Garrison of Lechnagha, 24 points)
Leader: Captain Capri (Boneshaker leader trait)
- Leader Unit – Heavy Riders (Centaurs, 4 points)
- Second unit of Centaur Warriors – Heavy Riders (4 points)
- 2 No. Outriders (Centaur Bowmen) – Light Riders (8 points)
- 2 No. Foot soldiers – Heavy Foot (8 points)
The Bad Guys
Pethor the Snotty’s (Son of Pethor the Brute) Gang (24 points)
Leader: Pethor the Snotty (Strong leadertrait).
- Leader unit – Warchariot – Heavy Rider with Chariot upgrade (6 points)
- Boar Riders – Heavy Riders (4 points)
- 2 No. Wolf Riders (short range missiles, javelins) – Light Riders (6 points)
- Wolf Rider archers – Light Riders (4 points)
- Giant Boars – Lesser Warbeasts (4 points)
Baahuer Backstabber’s Gang (24 points)
Leader: Baahuer Backstabber (Sky Darkener leader trait).
- Leader unit – Light Foot, with Wizardling Upgrade (5 points)
- 2 No. Goblin Infantry – Light Foot (6 points)
- Snotlings – Light Foot (3 points) – this are modelled with double models (i.e. 24 in total instead of 12 models).
- Ogre Gunners – Heavy Missiles (weighty projectiles, simulating very bad accuracy with a short range, 3 points) – 3 ogre models but small snotlings on the bases still allowing the 1-2-3 basing.
- Troll stone hurlers – Heavy Missiles (weighty projectiles, stones, 3 points) – 3 troll models, with stones on the bases allowing the 1-2-3 basing to work.
- Archers – Light missiles (4 points)
Stinghy’s Gang (24 points)
Leader: Stingy Stjartdell (Goader leader trait).
- Leader Unit – Heavy Riders (Scorpion Men, with Venomous Upgrade, 7 points)
- Scorpion Guards – Heavy Riders (Scorpion Men, with Venomous Upgrade, 7 points)
- Ferocious Manticore – Lesser Warbeast (Flying, Venomous, Hatred of Elves, 10 points) – using Harpys to mark Strength.
All the very best. come and say hello if you come to Sheffield next week. For those who do not, I will write some updates in the next few blogs!
Have a good week!