Some 2mm bases for playtesting Homunculus Est

Continuing from the last post where I discussed my first test base of 2mm using miniatures from Irregular Miniatures (see more about this here here).

The first test base

Although I was reasonably happy I learned a few lessons and had a re-think of what I wanted to do, in summary this was.

  • 100mm by 50mm bases
  • Early Imperial Roman formations for the legions
  • Use Matt brown as a base cost and make the bases a little bit greener

Anyway had another batch from Irregular and got into it.

I basically ordered 3 Roman army packs some Partians and Germans, now I am not sure what I used for what but know that for the Legion bases I used early imperial bases, I use 30 per base, which is ten packs and about £3.3 per base if someone is counting. I have ordered enough make some more legion bases and warbands and have done this by ordering individual codes (however with my impressionistic and quick approach it does not really matter that much).
Some of bases have flash on the bottom, you do not want to keep this and need to get rid of it. Wash your hands after you have done it and get rid of the excess carefully, I always use a paper I can fold up and throw.
The legions in triple acies
Six warbands on the top, then a base of light cavalry, two bases of heavy cavalry, two bases of skirmishers and a base on light cavalry.
Sprayed them matt brown
Drubrush with my normal three colour set, light brown, light terracota and a pale yellowish (Straw).
Paint the blocks black
Then I started putting on the details for the warbands and skirmishers, this stage representing shields, I used about 5 different colours in the end, then later painted some brown and bronze on top of the heads to represent a mixture of headgear, I also painted some colours on the back. The whole idea is to get something that looks like something reasonable from a distance like the picture below. It is not really painting more making dots that give an impression for the barbarian type of bases I use a wide variety of colour and for the Roman bases I will go more uniform in terms of colour (as well as formation as you can see on the basing approach).
I then based it with a mixture of some old Javis flock I had, I think it is dark, medium and light green mixture at equal ratio and some additional detail. At about 20-30 minutes per base of painting this is a perfectly achievable project to do in a weekend. This is really the way to look at then as the detail is not really there at least not in the way I have painted them .
Here the warbands on the table and a big shout to Geek Villian who did the brilliant mat (link here) – I got the green grass version (6X4) and I love it. You may be aware that I have made a numerous amount of mats but the flexibility in this kind of light fleece type of mat is fantastic and I really like the colour tone if this one. Go and have a look.
The cavalry from behind
The skirmishers
Here tbey all are on the new wargames mat. Good enough and nice to know that you can do an army in a few sessions.
Next time I will finish the Legions (and make another 3) and the light cavalry bases, do some more war bands and some wagon bases needed to play some of the scenarios, before I crack on with some terrain pieces.

/ Hope that was of some interest

2 thoughts on “Some 2mm bases for playtesting Homunculus Est

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s