You may recall that I did some work on a Swedish Rifle Platoon in WW2 for Chain of Command last year. This is part of a What-if Project I have been working on for some Potential WW2 actions involving the Swedish Army. I have been working away slowly with this project in the background. The rules I am using are Too Fat Lardies Chain of Command, but if you are interested in this What-if then you should be able to get something out of this even if you use another rule set.
I will shortly do an update of the Swedish Platoon list for Chain of Command as there are a few errors in the support options.
One of the most iconic Swedish vehicles of the era was the Terrängbil m/42 KP (Off Road Vehicle), also known as the KP-bil. It was a domestic development and would allow the troops to keep up with the tanks and also offer some protection from artillery and small arms fire. The KP-bil was a APC basically developed from an army lorry with armour-plates. The first ones were delivered in 1944 but there were a produced in 1943 but rejected (due to weaknesses in the body). In the What-if scenarios I am developing with a German invasion of Sweden in 1943 these will be pressed into service earlier.
The KP-bil was finally de-commissioned from Swedish Military Service in 2004 and was baptised in fire during its service with the Swedish UN forces in Congo in the 1960s. It was sometimes referred to as the Coffin due to it shape and in Congo it was also known as the White Elephant. You can find more about this vehicle, in English, from these web pages:
- Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KP-bil
- Tanks Encyclopedia – http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/sweden/Terrangbil_m-42D_SKP.php
Putting them into Service
In doing the research for this WW2 Swedish project I found that it is possible to buy the KP-bil in 1/100 scale from Shapeways (link here).
The first issue is in the fact that these come with Machine Gun Mountings that were not included as standard until the 1950s – I could have stretched the imagination a little bit in this what-if and said that perhaps when they were pressed into service the mounting were attached? I decided to take them away. I did this with a fine cutter and then applied two pieces of thin card to cover the whole, the round piece incidentially the same diameter as a normal hole punch hole – I covered them with PVA glue.
I then painted them in three colour scheme – I have used this for the Tanks I am working on too (future posting).
The looked ok, but as they do not cover with any passengers the look a little bit boring. I thought I add some, but wanted to be able to take them out to show whether they were occupied or not on the gaming table.
During a very long telephone conference I got an idea and doodled it down – not a very clever one but good enough to achieve what I needed to do. I thought I would just create a block of soldiers that could be put in and out the vehicle.
I got some Italian Flames of War models (the one I used for the base Platoon I made) and created four bases (that I made sure fitted into the vehicles) with soldiers glued together (I used Grip Fill) trying to create some interesting “going ons”.
The I painted them as I did the other Platoon I did (see link here to that blog post for what Colours I used).
Had to get them out on a test spin, I think it was worth it.
/ Hope that was of some interest,